The latest version of CentOS is now available: “CentOS 8”. From now on, all our customers can deploy their Cloud with this version of the RedHat distribution, CentOS.
Thanks to the availability of CentOS 8 in all Cloud instances, now, you can work with more updated repositories and, therefore, with more recent versions of your favorite software, libraries and applications or that you require for your project.
What is CentOS?
It is the latest stable version of CentOS, a free and totally free Operating System based on RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). It uses the RPM package format and stands out for its commitment to stability and support.
CentOS is a Linux distribution that is very popular as an operating system for web servers. Only Ubuntu and Debian are used more frequently.
CentOS has the same features as RHEL:
- Stability: CentOS is continually developing to provide the platform for the latest software, while keeping track of compatibility with older applications. Each advance is made with the intention of ensuring the stability of the components. In addition, this system has a great performance in terms of virtualization (based on KVM or virtual machine based on the kernel) and with high availability, this being the main reason why this distribution is very suitable for servers in the cloud and virtualization.
- Security: Thanks to the proactive detection of vulnerabilities, its source code has a high level of security. On the other hand, the Linux distribution supports the SEL (Security Enhanced Linux) kernel extension, an open source product that has the collaboration of Red Hat and the NSA. This program implements authorization controls for the use of computer resources, protecting against unauthorized access.
- Long maintenance and support cycles: Since the first version of CentOS, releases have been tied to RHEL releases. The numbers of each version are maintained (for example, RHEL 6.2 to CentOS 6.2), although, since version 7, a timestamp is added that refers to the publication of the base code. Thus, for example, the source for version 7.0-1406 was published in June 2014. In addition to version control, CentOS has also dealt with technical support: general support is planned for up to 7 years and a supply of up to 10 years of security updates.
What's new in CentOS 8?
CentOS 8 has several renewed features compared to its previous version, among which the following stand out:
- Updated kernel (Linux 4.18)
- Support «Secure Boot»
- Wayland as the default graphical server
- dnf package manager (instead of yum)
- Supported architectures: 64-bit Intel / AMD, 64-bit ARM and IBM Power PC
- Python version 3 by default
In general, since CentOS 8 is based on RedHat, its new features are basically the same as those introduced in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 version.
You can check the full detail of the news in the official notes of the new version CentOS 8.
I want a Cloud with CentOS 8!
Very easy, visit our website www.swhosting.com and create your instance in a matter of seconds. Our setup assistant will guide you through the entire process.
Get your Cloud server with CentOS 8