You should know that domains have a life cycle and, depending on whether they have been registered, whether they have expired, etc., they go through different states. Next, we are going to break down the most common to avoid situations of confusion:
Life of a domain
· Available or Free The domain is not currently registered by any natural person or corporation, with which you can register it so that it is your property.
· Registered or Occupied It means that the domain is already registered. In this state, you can only transfer it if it is owned by you. Otherwise you will not be able to do any action.
· Active Once the domain is registered you can use it and link it if you wish, to a hosting plan.
· Expired It is when the domain has not been renewed on time and has expired. At this point, first, the domain stops working and also goes through different states:
· Renew Grace Period If it has not been renewed while it was active, in this period of time (approximately between 0 and 45 days) the domain stops working but you can proceed with its recovery. This recovery has a cost, which will be informed once you have the domain in the cart.
· Redemption Grace Period If it has not been renewed while it was active or in a grace period, you can still recover the domain, although the price of it will be much higher due to a penalty. In this state it is usually about 30 days.
· Pending Delete At this stage, the domain can no longer be renewed and simply wait (about 5 days) for it to be available again.
It is important to know that all domain extensions are´ NOT ´subject to the same days of duration in the different states.
1. If your domain is in Renew Grace Period you can recover it through your SW Panel
Once inside your client panel, you should go to the tab Domains and SSL -> Domain portfolio
You will see your expired domain with an attention symbol on the left side of it. Display the menu that appears on your right -> Recover expired domain
You will be added to the SW Panel domain cart:
Here it will indicate the cost of the domain renewal and its recovery cost. You only need to add balance (in case of using SW Panel credits) and accept domain cart
2. If your domain is in any of the other following states( Redemption Grace Period, Pending delete or it has become free again) you will not find it in your control panel. In order to recover it, and / or know its status, you must open an Administrative Ticket or communicate it through a Free support wall
You can also know its status by doing a [WHOIS](https://www.swhosting.com/en/dominios/whois) of it